|Speculative Double house at 41st and Pine.|
The houses on Pine Street in West Philadelphia between 40th and 41st are a good example of the architecture that once dominated this suburb in its earliest stages. Nathaniel B. Browne and Samuel A. Harrison, two of Sloan's foremost patrons contracted Sloan to design dozens of homes in this area in their effort to craft their dream suburb in West Philadelphia between 1842-1844. This surviving row of homes presents an excellent remnant of that construction, since much of Sloan's other work on Locust Street, Walnut, and Chestnut was ruthlessly demolished in the expansion of the University of Pennsylvania. They were built as speculative dwellings by Browne and Harrison and were sold to the type of people that the two envisioned populating their suburban ideal. Though the houses have suffered from alterations, enough remains to give a good impression of their original design and display Sloan's classic approach which would guide Philadelphia building. Moving from 41st toward 40th down Pine:
The corner house on 41st and Pine, as most of these, is a double house that follows the irregular plan on the side facing Pine and the pavilion plan on the front facing 41st, with the tower is placed between two gabled pavilions. It's an elegant solution when dealing with a double house to make it appear from different vantages as if it follows a different plan and is a unified structure. It bears a resemblance to MA Design 1 with a central tower. Note the typical Sloan features that one sees everywhere in Philadelphia, strong bay windows on the first floor, rectangular windows on the first two stories, and tombstone windows in groups of two or three on the third floor between long brackets. The stuccoed façade and quoins as well are notable high style features.