|The George Hatch House, Cincinnati, OH. 1850 Color photos: Wikimedia|
The George Hatch house is much earlier than other houses we have seen on Dayton Street. It was built in 1850-1 for Hatch, a mayor, land speculator, and soap manufacturer, and was designed by Isaiah Rogers, who was responsible for the Gaff House in Indiana. Like the Gaff house, it has similarities to Greek Revival design, but remains a firm example of Anglo-Italianate architecture. Although the plan is symmetrical, the limestone facade undulates boldly. The bowed bays are particularly characteristic of Rogers and can be seen in his work on Boston's Tremont House. The central section maintains the facade's restlessness with its bayed entrance porch surmounted by a bay window. In terms of ornamentation, there is a very low amount on most of the facade. The bows have very plain windows with a minimum of molding. A broad string course separates the floors, but is enlivened by paired Temple of the Winds pilasters at the ends of the facade. The porch is truly lovely. Although it looks like a three bay projection, it actually forms a hexagon because the projection is reflected by a three bay recess in the facade. Corinthian columns alternate with Temple of the Winds pilasters. Above, the simple bay window has round windows which very thin, almost Federal Corinthian pillars. The Greek Revival cornice is ornamented with simple rafter brackets, suitable for the 1850s. Notably, this house has an octagonal cupola and a port cochere with a room above.
The interiors of the house are particularly impressive because of the massive staircase hall which is entered through the port cochere. Additionally, the floors are inlaid and tiled and the interior arches have Corinthian columns. The house has been recently restored.
The following images are from HABS.